Melbourne (Victoria, Australia) Weather


Thursday, October 4, 2007

#4 Man's Ongoing Crisis of Identity in the First Half of the 21st Century (or: Why we're all suffering together around a campfire)

It occurred to me in the last month that I'd been using a wiki for almost as long as I'd been using the internet. That's right - this. I was introduced to it when tracking down synopsiss(ss) for Cinemedia (see: ACMI) 9 years ago when on work experience there. One day, my job was to watch Night of the Hunter. Um, yes. Anywho, one of IMDB's immense strengths is it's ever increasing pool of contributors. If you're not sure when a film's gonna be released, and you've tried searching the woeful search engine of our local censors (which really doesn't tell you much in terms of an exact release date), there's a fair bet IMDB know. There are membership restrictions, but, well, not allot, really. But, seeing as I gave up on film-making in favour of writing, I wasn't really in a position to get that kind of information before any other chump. But nevertheless, wikis, like most things that get lumped with a web 2.0 label, have existed well before the buzzword bingo really kicked in.

My opinion on Wikipedia tends to change depending on what company I keep. When annoying acquaintances start loudly plugging it as the best thing since google, I really start to tense up. Crystal glasses start to chip in the next room - it's bad. But alot of the time, well... how the hell else am I going to find out the real names of all the members of Skepticism? Those guys don't talk to people much. Anonymity helps to maintain the dischord. That, and a whole wealth of people who don't like their music. I can't really decide - I'll just flip a coin and hope that it doesn't explode and kill the whole lot of us.

Seriously though, Zinewiki. Might create a wiki sooon. More news on that later.

But first, a shameless plug: hmmmn, yes... zine-y goodness. Wikipedia rejected an attempt another Sticky person and I made to generate an article on the store. Called it a 'shameless ad'. Or something. Damn moderators. Not as free 'n easy as you'd like, it seems. We probably should've omitted the word 'store. Sigh...

And now...

No comments: